Unsung heroes

Ikke alle spillere har spillertråder, men noen fortjener oppmerksomhet likevel. La oss hedre dem. Ofte huskes noen spillere som mindre viktige, eller dårligere, enn de er.

La oss gi dem æren tilbake.

Dette er tråden for å finne tilbake til de som var viktige i noen korte øyeblikk, eller som aldri helt fikk det til fordi andre var bittelitt bedre enn dem akkurat da det gjaldt.

Dette er tråden for dem som gjorde fn innsats, men som ikke fikk anerkjennelse.

Dette er tråden der vi dreper myter og rydder opp i historiens misforståelser.

Dette er tråden da vi roper YNWA til dem som aldri ble stjerner, men som aldri gjorde noe galt og som bør huskes med glede.

ERIK MEIJER

Født 1969
I Liverpool 1999 - 2001
Spiss
27 kamper, 2 mål

If certain other players who possess considerably more talent than Erik had that kind of attitude, they could be world beaters.

theliverpoolway.co.uk skriver:

He’s big, he’s red, he’s off his f*****g head. Never has a song summed up a player so well. The Big Dutchman who was snapped up on a Bosman from Bayer Leverkusen in the summer of 1999 proved to be a popular figure with the fans, but it was certainly not for his goalscoring prowess. Meijer was a proper loon, but in a good way. As committed a player as any that have ever played for the club, Erik only knew one way to play, flat out.

Anyone who watched him stomping around St Helens like a madman in reserve games will testify to how committed this man was. Reserve games against Sheffield Wednesday were treated with the same gusto most players would save for cup finals. What he lacked in talent he attempted to make up for with sheer effort, and the one thing Liverpool fans always warm to is a trier.

Erik made 27 appearances in total for the reds, but managed only two goals, both coming in the same game at Boothferry Park against Hull City in the League Cup. Many of his appearances came from the subs bench, where his physical presence and heading ability proved useful whether we were chasing a game or protecting a lead. It became a customary sight, the game would stop for a throw in or corner kick, Erik would enter the field and sprint to the near post and demand the ball.

Another regular sight was his first pumping, arm gesturing to the crowd to get them whipped up. It didn’t matter whether it was 15,000 fans on the Kop, or 15 fans on the terraces at Knowsley Road, Erik loved to get the crowd involved. Reserve games have never been as much fun as they were when the big Dutchman led the attack.

There was never a dull moment. There was one occasion where he was in an offside position out wide, and he sneaked along the touchline doing this tip toe, Inspector Cluesoe type walk hoping the linesman wouldn’t see him. Mad as a sack full of crazy monkeys.

Another time he closed down a full back, who played the ball back to his keeper. So Erik chased down the keeper, who played it over to the full back on the far side. So Erik chased him too, and eventually got across there and blocked his attempted clearance and knocked the ball out for a throw. He then leapt to his feet, fist pumping and yelling ‘Come on!!!’ to the handful of die hards stood freezing on the touchline.

Another incident that stands out was in a league game at Anfield (against Bradford I think), where Erik took a ball full in the face from point blank range as he charged down a defenders clearance. There was an eery silence around the ground for a second or two as people waited to see what followed. It was almost like it happened in slow motion, as the giant striker paused for a second, looking as though he may be knocked down, only to suddenly regain his composure and shake his head furiously to shake off the cobwebs. A huge cheer went up, and he immediately set off after the ball again. That kind of commitment is a rare thing indeed, and if certain other players who possess considerably more talent than Erik had that kind of attitude, they could be world beaters. I won’t mention any names, you can guess who they are coughs Heskey * coughs* Pennant * coughs*.

Other amusing Erik Mejier tales include the one where was the victim of a terrible high challenge by an Academy youngster who was training with the first team. The story goes that Erik was livid, but knew it would be wrong to take out his anger on the kid, so took himself back to the dressing room and kicked a door in!

The Echo’s Chris Bascombe told TLW the following story about his experiences with Erik: “He was an eccentric but very likable guy. I remember Liverpool had a striker crisis before they played Leeds (when Leeds were good). I was told on the Friday by Houllier that Meijer would play. I saw him in the Melwood car park and asked him about the game. “Tell the people of Liverpool I have something to say. There are many players up for this match, and the Big Dutchman is one of them!” I loved the way he referred to himself as the ‘Big Dutchman’. When I was still writing ‘the Kop’ magazine, I wrote an article about Liverpool’s strikeforce. I mentioned Heskey, Owen, Fowler and Camara. At the next training session he ran over to me and said “where was the Big Dutchman in your article?” We printed a comic apology in the next issue.”

Wikipedia skriver:

Meijer started his career at Fortuna Sittard (1987–89), and broke through in the early 1990s at Dutch Eredivisie club MVV Maastricht and was transferred to PSV Eindhoven in 1994.
He then moved to German Bundesliga struggler KFC Uerdingen 05 in 1995, where he was one of the few bright spots in a hapless squad, and was picked up by Bayer 04 Leverkusen. There, he was paired up with Ulf Kirsten and formed one of the most intimidating striker duos of the Bundesliga.

After successful years, Meijer moved to Liverpool F.C. in 1999, where he failed to make an impression next to Michael Owen and Robbie Fowler. He returned to the Bundesliga and joined Hamburger SV in December 2000.

Meijer became a cult hero at Anfield despite rarely making the first team, and he was christened ‘Mad Erik’ for his never say die attitude and love for the club. He scored two goals in his time at Anfield, both coming in a League Cup tie against Hull City. He joined Liverpool fans in Dortmund prior to the 2000–01 UEFA Cup, where he drank and sang with Reds fans. Despite playing a limited number of games for Liverpool, Meijer was voted 99th in the fan-based poll, 100 Players Who Shook The Kop.

Jamie Carragher har sagt om Erik Meijer:

“He was just a great fella to have around the place and a great fella to have on the pitch when he did play – a real team player who’d really put himself about. He was just unfortunate at the time that we had so many good strikers and he was probably number four choice before he got the chance to move on. Mad Erik, I think he’s definitely a cult-hero.”

Han ble aldri noen stor stjerne, den godeste Neil Mellor, men for et mål dette var! Og nå gjør han en fin jobb som ekspertkommentator, sammen med andre fine typer som Jason McAteer og Gary Gillespie, for LFC TV.

GARY ABLETT

Født 1965
Død 2012
I Liverpool 1985 - 1992
Venstreback og midtstopper
147 kamper, 1 mål

One of the most under-appreciated players in Liverpool’s history.

Wikipedia skriver:

Liverpool-born Ablett joined Liverpool F.C. as an apprentice upon leaving St Margaret’s Church of England High School in 1982. He made his Liverpool debut on 20 December 1986 in a goalless league away draw with Charlton Athletic, when regular defenders Barry Venison and Mark Lawrenson were absent due to injury. He made five more appearances that season, scoring what would be his only goal for the club on 18 April 1987 in a 3–0 home league victory over Nottingham Forest. Alongside experienced players in defence, such as Gary Gillespie, Steve Nicol and skipper Alan Hansen, Ablett helped Liverpool win the League championship and reach the 1988 FA Cup Final. Ablett only collected a runners-up medal in the latter competition due to Liverpool’s 1–0 defeat by Wimbledon.

In 1988–89, Liverpool made it to their second consecutive FA Cup final. This time they were successful, after a 3–2 victory over Merseyside rivals Everton. They lost the League title, however, to Arsenal with practically the last kick of the season. Ablett was now firmly established as the club’s regular left back, missing just three league games that season.

Ablett flitted in and out of the squad over the next year, relegated in the pecking order following the arrival of Glenn Hysen and the progress of Steve Staunton and David Burrows. He was used more frequently as a central defender rather than left full-back after Hansen began suffering more with injuries. Eventually, he took the central role more often following the arrival of left back Burrows from West Bromwich Albion and won the League again with Liverpool in 1990.

Kenny Dalglish resigned as Liverpool manager on 22 February 1991, and his successor, Graeme Souness, decided to sell Ablett for £750,000 to Everton in January 1992, after 147 appearances for the Reds. Ironically, his departure came at a time when he was getting more first team opportunities than he had done since the 1988–89 season.

Alan Hansen har sagt om Gary Ablett:

"One of the most under-appreciated players in Liverpool’s history. I consider his premature sale to Everton in 1991 as one of the biggest transfer mistakes Liverpool have ever made.”

It was an era when we were packed with big players with huge personalities. Into the dressing room walked this quite, unassuming 21-year-old with a dry sense of humour. The initiation can be tough for a young player, but in many ways ‘Abbo’ was given an easier ride from the lads compared with some of the others because of how liked he was and how comfortable everyone felt in his presence.

The way to become accepted in that dressing room was to perform, and Gary did that.

It was taken for granted, week after week, that he would play well. During the longest spell I played alongside him at centre-half, which was during the 1989 season, he made it easy. I took my position on the right of the centre-back pairing, he’d go to the left, and I trusted him implicitly. He made playing alongside him easy because he was so good and deservedly became a permanent fixture in what was a great Liverpool team.
When asked how a match had gone, the phrase ‘Abbo played well again’ became almost compulsory. He really was a class act, both on and off the park.

After I retired, Liverpool decided to sell him and I was shocked. It was a huge error, which was proved by how well he performed for Everton."

ablett_020112

Supersub David Fairclough erxen som fortjener min heder og ære.

En spiller som har gått i glemmeboka for mange er Glenn Hysen, en spiller som Dalglishb hentet til klubben.

Dette sier Wijipedia.

Early years[edit]
Glenn Ingvar Hysén was born in Gothenburg to a football family. His grandfather Erik played for IFK Göteborg as did his great-uncle Carl. Hysén’s father Kurt also played for IFK Göteborg’s B-Team.[1] Hysén started playing football at IF Warta when he was a boy. As a child, he wanted to become a fire fighter.[2]

Career[edit]
IFK Göteborg/PSV Eindhoven[edit]
Hysén started his career with IFK Göteborg and quickly established himself as a tough and composed defender. He was Sweden’s Footballer of the Year in 1983 and his form earned him his first international caps and a move to PSV Eindhoven in the Netherlands.

Fiorentina[edit]
Hysén then moved to Fiorentina and earned continental plaudits with his displays against England in two World Cup qualification matches during the campaign for the forthcoming 1990 tournament. As a result, English clubs became interested in him. He became Sweden’s Footballer of the Year again in 1988, with Swedish rules not barring their countrymen from receiving the award even if playing in a different nation.

Liverpool[edit]
Manchester United expressed an interest in signing Hysén in 1989, and invited the player over to England for a tour of Old Trafford and buffet lunch. He returned to Italy with the deal all but sealed; Manchester United chairman Martin Edwards even rang Alex Ferguson to report that Hysén had shaken hands on the deal. Negotiations stalled on the £300,000 transfer, and Edwards and Ferguson flew out to Italy to conclude matters in person. However, upon arrival in Florence, they were told by Hysén’s agent that the player had signed for Liverpool a few days previously, prompting the United management to make a move for Gary Pallister instead.[3]

Hysén made a sensational debut against Arsenal in the 1989 Charity Shield win at Wembley which made him an instant hero.[4] Hysén settled in immediately at Liverpool, scoring his first Liverpool goal in their club record 9–0 mauling of Crystal Palace soon afterwards. He scored Liverpool’s eighth goal in this game, which was notable for having eight different players score for the same side.[5]

Alongside veteran club captain Alan Hansen and, in Hansen’s injury-enforced absence, the young defender Gary Ablett, Hysén was a major part of Liverpool’s success in the League championship of the 1989–90 season, when the Reds fought off a late challenge from Aston Villa and sealed their 18th top division title by a margin of nine points.

It went slightly downhill for Hysén thereafter, with Hansen out with a long-term injury (which led to his retirement). Manager Kenny Dalglish’s resignation in February 1991 heralded the beginning of Hysén’s end. The new manager Graeme Souness did not really share Dalglish’s views on football which led to many changes being made upon his arrival, changes that did not suit the entire team and created some tension between him and some of the players, Hysén being one of those players. This tension together with some minor injuries made Souness less keen to keep him. Hysén did recover fitness for the 1991–92 season, but made just five league appearances before being given a free transfer in January 1992.[6]

He is still remembered by Liverpool fans for his near-perfect intercepting tackle on Gary Lineker at Wembley Stadium.

GAIS[edit]
He returned to Sweden in 1992, playing for GAIS. Getting Hysén to move from the English Premier League to join the relatively small club in the Swedish Allsvenskan was a very extensive and expensive transition for GAIS. He received much criticism and it is said and rumoured among Swedish football fans, mainly GAIS supporters, that “Hysén’s greed ruined GAIS economy”.[7]

The truth [7] is that GAIS promised to build Hysén a house as a sign-on fee to tempt him into to joining them; Hysén accepted the offer, an offer which can not have been very well thought through since the process of building the house almost put the club into bankruptcy, and GAIS ended up not being able to afford to fulfill the promise. Glenn Hysén could have made this into a legal matter, since this sign-on fee was written into his contract, but he never did.

Swedish national team[edit]
Hysén made his national debut on 6 March 1981 against Northern Ireland.[8] He continued to play for the Swedish national team for the next nine years. Hysén later captained Sweden in a World Cup campaign in Italy, when they lost all three of their first-round matches and went home surprisingly[9] early.

Retirement[edit]
TV[edit]
After Hysén’s retirement from football, he has worked as an expert commentator for TV6 and TV3 in Sweden. At the end of each transmission, he appoints three football players for the game’s best player. He now works as a commentator for TV2 in Norway.[10]

Glenn competed as a celebrity dancer in Let’s Dance 2014 being the third to be eliminated.

Since 2014 Glenn Hysen also been an ambassador for the gaming company Unibet [11] and the cleaning company Sweden & Co.[12]

Coaching[edit]

Glenn Hysén on reality TV show FC Z
Hysén has been assistant coach for Torslanda IK. This experience landed him a spot on reality show FC Z which takes 15 men between the ages of 18 and 31 who have never played football before and trains them so they can play against a real team. On the show, he is the coach of the football team FC Zulu which was pinned against his son Tobias’s former team, Djurgårdens IF.

In November 2010, Glenn Hysén signed a contract making him co-head coach of Swedish division II team Utsiktens BK.

Incident at Frankfurt Airport[edit]

Glenn Hysén giving a speech at Stockholm Pride 2007.
At Frankfurt Airport in 2001, Hysén attacked a man who had groped him while in the public restroom. In 2007, Hysén spoke at Stockholm Pride, the largest gay pride festival in the Nordic region. Many people from the gay community were surprised due to the earlier incident.[13] At the Stockholm Pride, he delivered a speech denouncing sports homophobia and laid to rest his 2001 airport incident.

He stated that, “I know that many LGBT people have been the victims of assaults and hate crimes. I can therefore understand if some people have been upset by the airport incident, so I want to be clear: I think that it is completely unacceptable that anybody should be subjected to assaults, insults or hate crimes due to their sexual orientation or gender identity,…The incident had been blown out of proportion in the media…In order to finally flush the Frankfurt Airport punch down the toilet: it is not the case that I beat up a gay person. I categorically deny that,…I’m not proud that I took a swing at him, but I am proud that I have integrity and that I reacted.”[14]

In the same speech he asked “How easy would it be for a sixteen-year-old boy who plays football to come out as gay to his team mates?”[15] In March 2011 his youngest son, Anton, a professional footballer himself, came out of the closet to the media.[16]

Personal life[edit]
Hysén and his first wife Kerstin had two children. On 9 March 1982 Tobias was born and three years later daughter Charlotte arrived.[17] Kerstin and Glenn divorced.

He married his second wife Helena and had three children. The first of which was son Alexander who was born on 12 May 1987. That same year, the family moved to Italy while Hysén was playing for Fiorentina. Whilst playing for Fiorentina, a man proposed to Helena and Hysén chased after him and threw him up against a wall which he revealed in his biography. Hysén and Helena had son Anton who was born in 1990, and a daughter Annie born in 1994.

Honours[edit]
Club[edit]
IFK Göteborg
Swedish Champion: 1982, 1983, 1987
Swedish Cup: 1982, 1983; Runner-up 1986
UEFA Cup: 1982, 1987
Liverpool
Football League First Division: 1990
Charity Shield: 1989, 1990 (shared)
Individual[edit]
Guldbollen: 1983, 1988

Steve McMahon

Luis Garcia! Entertainer! En absolutt favoritt i mine øyne som kanskje glemmes litt i skyggen av torres, gerrard , alonso!

Daniel Agger! For en spiller! Synd Rodgers ikke hadde samme oppdatning!

Disse var kanskje for viktige for laget i sine beste perioder i klubben men velger å nevne de to uansett:slight_smile:

Det er ikke mange spillere som har skapt mer harme, frustrasjon, indignasjon og irritasjonen, glede, lykkerus, omtale en Lucas, men han er en spiller jeg ikke klarer å slippe tak i. Nå briljerer han i Lazio.

DJIMI TRAORE

Født 1980
I Liverpool 1999 - 2006
Venstreback og midtstopper
141 kamper, 1 mål

A goalline clearance to deny Shevchenko a likely winner” contributed to his winning a Champions League medal.

Wikipedia skriver:

He spent the 2003–04 season, Houllier’s last at the club, in the reserve team, of which he was captain, and almost left Liverpool for their Merseyside neighbours Everton on the 2004 transfer deadline day but remained at Liverpool. He scored his first and what turned out to be only Liverpool goal during this season, in the UEFA Cup against FC Steaua Bucureşti. Traoré’s career appeared to have been revitalised by Rafael Benítez. While the defender had appeared poor positionally, and seemed reluctant to attack, particularly during the 2004–05 season, he showed more willingness to support the left winger, as well as improving his positional play.

Traoré scored an own-goal in the third round of the 2004–05 FA Cup against then Championship side Burnley, as he attempted a turn and drag-back within his own six-yard box. It turned out to be the only goal of the game and handed Burnley a 1–0 victory over their Premiership opponents.

Traoré remained a regular at Liverpool, and eventually made the starting line-up as Liverpool qualified for the Champions League Final that season, against AC Milan. After conceding the free kick that led to Paolo Maldini’s goal in the opening minute, In the second half his play improved, and “a goalline clearance to deny Shevchenko a likely winner” contributed to his winning a Champions League medal as Liverpool fought back from 3–0 down to draw 3–3 and beat Milan on penalties.

Traore om å forlate Liverpool:

“I’m very proud of what I achieved at Liverpool, especially winning the Champions League, but it wasn’t difficult for me to leave that behind. I’d prefer to go somewhere where I can play football rather than be in the Champions League with Liverpool and sit on the bench.”

PAUL WALSH

Født 1962
I Liverpool 1984 - 1987
Spiss
112 kamper, 37 mål

Disaster struck when he ruptured his ligaments.

Lfchistory.net skriver:

Walsh was voted PFA’s most promising player of the year in 1983/84 and was at the centre of a bidding war between Manchester United and Liverpool. Walsh opted for a move to Merseyside and with Ian Rush sidelined at the start of the 1984/85 season, he went straight into the first team and scored after just fifteen seconds of his home debut against West Ham. He played in the opening ten League games but was injured in the tenth at White Hart Lane and as that injury coincided with Rush’s return to full fitness, he was in and out of the team for the rest of the season. He did score three times in Liverpool’s successful run in Europe and played in the ill-fated final against Juventus in Brussels. This tricky little forward played alongside Rush with Dalglish behind them. Walsh could be pleased with his first season, hardly expecting to upstage Rush who was pivotal to the club’s success as before.

An amazing run of 18 goals in 25 matches in the double 1985/86 season was a testament to Walsh’s ability, but then disaster struck when he ruptured his ligaments. One wonders what could have been as this was the most important spell of his Liverpool career.

Paul Walsh har sagt:

“I had scored 18 goals in 24 games when I was injured during a game with Manchester United at Anfield when my ankle became got caught in between Kevin Moran’s legs as we challenged for a ball. I was out for seven months and, by the time I was ready again, Kenny Dalglish had bought John Barnes, Peter Beardsley and John Aldridge. I think he wanted his own men in.”

Er Ronnie Wheelan en unsung hero ?
En meget viktig spiller på et dominerende Liverpool lag.
Slenger med Ray Houghton samtidig.
Gode minner .

Jeg har ryddet litt i tråden og ber om at man prøver å følge premisset satt i åpningsinnlegget. Da det er lagt ganske klare føringer for hva som ønskes i tråden så ber jeg om man forsøker å unngå “løsprat” og offtopic.

Sett i gang og hyll glemt helter!

IGOR BISCAN

Født 1978
I Liverpool 2000 - 2005
Sentral midtbanespiller
118 kamper, 3 mål

Minst like imponerende var 2-1 og 0-0 mot Juventus i kvartfinalen, der Igor var med på et defensivt mesterstykke.

Wikipedia skriver dette:

In 2004–05 season, Bišćan returned to a central midfield role and played a vital part in Liverpool’s run to the finals of the UEFA Champions League and was notable particularly for his marauding runs from midfield during matches against Bayer Leverkusen, Juventus and Chelsea.

Torbjørn Flatin på liverpool.no:

Jeg visste at han var banens beste spiller da mannskapet til Rafael Benitez vant 1-0 borte mot Deportivo siden jeg selv overvar den kampen, på et tidspunkt i gruppespillet hvor Liverpool var i ferd med å rette opp en dårlig start.

Den da 26-årige kroaten var med å danne et solid defensivt midtbaneskjold, som regel sammen med enten Didi Hamann eller Xabi Alonso. Han startet i neste kamp i Europa, borte mot Monaco, da det ble 0-1 tap, og i kampene i 1/8 finalene mot Bayer Leverkusen hvor de røde vant 3-1 både hjemme og borte.

Minst like imponerende var 2-1 og 0-0 mot Juventus i kvartfinalen, der Igor var med på et defensivt mesterstykke under returen i Torino. 0-0 og 1-0 mot Chelsea er kamper som for alltid er skrevet inn i historien til Liverpool FC og sendte klubben til finalen.

Igor sier selv:

"Having played so many games in that Champions League campaign, winning the competition not only made me very happy but also made me realise that the sacrifices I made and the things I had to do to remain at Liverpool all seem worthwhile.There are perhaps bigger clubs in the world, but I’m not sure any are as special as Liverpool.”

Synes vi har en tendens til å «glemme» Dudek når man snakker om CL. Man snakker om Gerrard, Travelling Kop i pausen, missene til Schevshenko (driter i hvordan navnet hans staves). Men tar høyde for at jeg tar feil. Uansett; altfor unsung hero.

DAVID BURROWS

Født 1968
I Liverpool 1988 - 1993
Venstreback
193 kamper, 3 mål

Burrows was a latter day Joey Jones. A sweet left foot, fierce tackling and stamina were his main assets.

sporting-heroes.net skriver:

Bob Paisley used to say that his strategy was that of signing a promising young player each year and in paying £500, 000 to West Bromwich Albion for David Burrows, Kenny Dalglish was clearly following his mentor’s instructions. For a player who had just turned 19 and had played just over fifty games for his club, it was a significant outlay. Yet the England U21 international was regarded as one of the best talents in the country and Liverpool’s bold move was more than justified. An injury crisis gave Burrows an early chance and he virtually became a regular from then on. Tactical naivety occasionally got the better of him and cost him his place following his introduction.

Typically, however, he made up by working hard to regain his place, something that he did during the 1989-90 season where Liverpool reclaimed the title that they had conceded a year earlier to Arsenal. Throughout that campaign Burrows never fully overcame the competition of another young left back, Steve Staunton. His versatility, however, meant that there was usually a spot for him, be it at left back, on the left side of midfield, as a holding midfielder or even an occasional outing in the centre of defence. Without ever attaining the same cult hero status, Burrows was a latter day Joey Jones. A sweet left foot, fierce tackling and stamina were his main assets. Even so, his main value was that of being able of performing equally well in a number of positions rather than excelling in one single role.

He even deputised for Bruce Grobbelaar when the goalkeeper was sent off during a European game against Spartak Moscow! Burrows remained a regular even when Dalglish left in February 1991 and was replaced by Graeme Souness, the 1990-91 campaign proving to be his best in terms of appearances with 35 league outings. Souness somewhat surprisingly let Staunton depart to Aston Villa in the summer of 1991 and Burrows therefore continued as the regular left back during the 91/92 campaign, culminating in an appearance at Wembley as Liverpool comfortably saw off Sunderland 2-0 to win the F.A. Cup.

David even managed to score his first Liverpool goal and in memorable style too, coming, as it did, in a 3-1 Merseyside derby success at Anfield. Yet, there was always the suspicion that the the manager felt that he could do better and when left-back Julian Dicks surprisingly joined from West Ham, Burrows went the other way along with Mike Marsh as part of the £2.5 million deal. It was a sad end to David’s time at Anfield. Although he may not have reached the heights that many had predicted for him, over the years he had been a consistent and reliable performer ­ one who had won a League title and an F.A. Cup - who perhaps deserved a better exit.

RONNIE ROSENTHAL

Født 1963
I Liverpool 1990 - 1994
Spiss
82 kamper, 23 mål

Such a ‘super-sub’ that David Fairclough got jealous.

theanfieldwrap.co.uk skriver:

He doesn’t deserve to be remembered solely for missing an open goal. Instead, he should lauded for playing a key part in putting No.18 in the Anfield trophy cabinet. On his first start after arriving on loan from Standard Liege Ronny rattled in a perfect hat-trick as Charlton were put to the sword at Selhurst Park – right foot, left foot, header –BOOM – he’d arrived. The Rocket went on to bang in seven goals in eight games of 89-90, giving Liverpool the perfect boost as they lifted the title.

Rosenthal signed a permanent deal for Liverpool in June 1990 as the Reds handed over £1.1million to the Belgians for his services. He was the first foreign player bought by an English club for more than £1m. The end of the previous season proved to be his purple patch for the Reds, but there were other highlights that had the Kop singing: “Ronny, Oh Ronny Ronny, Oh Ronny Ronny, Oh Ronny Rosenthal, hey!”.

Liverpool Echo:

A striker who became an instant cult hero – and league champion – at Anfield when he joined towards the tail end of the 1989-90 season.

Rosenthal was the perfect back-up striker at the time of the Reds’ last title success, which teeters on the brink of an unwanted 20th anniversary in the coming season.

He knew he was always going to be the understudy in a forward line that boasted leading lights like Ian Rush, Peter Beardsley and John Barnes.

But as his incredible full debut at Selhurst Park proved, and the subsequent goals he hit to help Kenny Dalglish’s side regain the First Division crown from Arsenal, his importance to the squad couldn’t be downplayed.

Such a ‘super-sub’ that David Fairclough got jealous.

Karl Heinz Riedle⚽️⚽️👍

@carragher- Takk for veldig fine profiler her inne. Bra initiativ! Av en eller annen grunn var Barry Venison den første som datt ned i hodet mitt da jeg begynte å scrolle. Han kom til klubben i 1986, og det sammenfaller så og si med da jeg ble LFC-supporter. Seks år, 110 kamper, og ett mål fikk han i klubben. Classy spiller, og et 80-tallsikon.

1997-1999 60 kamper 11mål. Flott spillertype